The sun is lighting up the living room and it looks like a gorgeous day outside. But, it’s -18˚C and with the wind chill it feels like -26˚C. So while I sit here and pretend it’s a perfect day for the beach you can get up to speed by reading about all the things I think are right in the world.
1. Sitting in Silence. I’ve made a commitment to settle my mind for at least a few minutes every day. This is not to impress anyone, because my ability to calm my mind is almost non-existent, but for my own sanity. It’s so strange how not thinking about things can solve most of life’s problems and make you feel like a million bucks. Very counter-intuitive but just go with it.
2. Blendy Stick. What the huh? It might help if I first clarify that it is Japanese and it is brilliant. I’m certainly no coffee snob so I have no issue with drinking packaged, instant coffee that also includes the milk and sugar in the same package. One. And. Done. Also, it is insanely yummy, highly addictive, mega convenient and not available outside of Japan. You can find it online and have it shipped here but it costs an absurd amount of dough. If you have an, ahem… dealer then it’s much cheaper.
3. Self-publishing. The whole area of self-publishing from authors to musicians to artists and so on, has totally been blown open in the past few years. You don’t have to suck up to the overlords who traditionally controlled these industries any more. You can write what you want and if other people like it then you can sell them books. If you make crazy music you can find an audience without needing to be radio-friendly. (Warning: the link contains bad language). I also LOVE Jon Lajoie. This is one cool era we are living in. And I’m not talking about the climate, but that would make a good pun.
4. Watching my son sleep. I think this quote sums it up nicely:
5. Flowers. I used to wrinkle my nose at flowers. Not because of the scent, which I can barely detect because I have a horrible sense of smell, but because they were so girly and prissy. For over a decade I really wanted a dragon tattoo but could never find the right artwork. That was probably a blessing because now I want flowers. You have a kid, it makes you crazy, what can I say?
6. Getting rid of stuff. Deleting files, throwing junk out, giving stuff away – it’s all good. When I have lot of stuff in my space and the closets and cupboards are crowded it makes my head feel full. Then I get overwhelmed and freak out and just start chucking things. Not at the wall or people or anything, just in the garbage. I also make rash decisions and have a hard time focusing on my work. Clutter is a nightmare. It’s almost as bad as my fear of being held as a prisoner in a foreign country where they don’t have human rights laws. I have no idea how that would ever happen but hey, that’s why they call them irrational fears.
Now it’s your turn. What do you LOVE right now? If you’re having a crappy day maybe you can find one thing you LIKE right now. That’ll do just fine.